Oak City Cares
Oak City Cares (OCC) is a collaboration between the City of Raleigh and Wake County (and several others) under the administration of Catholic Services to provide various services to those that are Housing-at-risk (homeless or soon to be homeless). COVID-19 has provided challenges to people but also to the services provided by OCC.
Two of the most popular services provided are Showers and Laundry Facilities. Several of the guests are employed and come to OCC to get their showers prior to heading off to work. With COVID these indoor facilities were determined to be unusable as social distancing was going to be a significant challenge. However, in May, with the help of Wake County, OCC was able to secure a mobile shower and laundry unit to re-open those services. It is one of the units used by disaster relief services. It has 4 shower units and 2 washer/dryer units. From May 8 – July 22, OCC provided over 509 laundry services and 927 shower services. In addition, to the above services, OCC is providing bathroom and telephone access on a daily basis to those that need it.
Weekend Meals Program
Additionally, the Weekend Meal Program has remained operational during this whole COVID-19 period. Although, OCC had to adjust the serving times and service distribution process as the pandemic has progressed, they have been able to still provide food on the weekends for those dealing with homelessness and food insecurity. We are averaging about 600 meals per weekend at this time.
Coordinated Care Program
The economic impact of the pandemic has increased the need for Coordinated Entry in the community. OCC’s Care Coordinators are working hard to keep up with the increased demand for Coordinated Entry intakes and referrals to partner agencies. Fortunately, the staff has been able to conduct this service remotely from the start of the pandemic, without missing a beat. The economic impact is likely to be felt for the foreseeable future, and as a result of the end to the federal eviction moratorium, it is anticipate the demand to continue increasing. The Raleigh-Wake Partnership to End and Prevent Homelessness will soon be onsite in the call center and will be launching the House Wake! Access Hub phone line to handle the volume of calls and serve as a single phone number to call in Wake County for Coordinated Entry. With the new call center in place, OCC’s Care Coordinators will soon be more available to provide direct case management and support for our most vulnerable citizens. They will also be adding an Outreach Care Coordinator to the OCC team the first week of August.
Mother Theresa Catholic Church will have various programs to inform and engage our great community in helping Oak City Cares through our current liturgical year.
For more information visit OCC websiteOak City Cares
How can MTCC help?
- We’ve had great success with our previous drives!
- We will have two coming: Fall for Winter Items and Spring for Summer Items
- These are always welcome and can be given during the Supply Drives
- Despite COVID OCC is still looking for volunteers to help with food distributions on Weekends.
- Volunteer now »
Need: Wake County Homelessness
- Affordable Housing
- 2019 – a family must make $19.73/hr to afford a 2 bedroom apartment (Fed/NC minimum wage is $7.25/hr)
- In 2019 Homelessness increased 25% from 2018
- In 2016 ~4,000 School-aged Children Homeless in WCPSS (excludes pre-school children)
- 83% experience at least 1 violent incident
- 3x more likely to have emotional and behavioral problems
Solution: Oak City Cares (OCC)
- Over 1,000 people have no where to go tonight
- When rent subsidies and foreclosure moratoriums end, the problem will grow exponentially
- Collaboration between City of Raleigh, Wake County, Partnership to End and Prevent Homeless, and Catholic Charities
- One Stop Shop for
- Housing, Employment, Health Care, Personal Hygiene and Food
- Comprehensive, Coordinated approach offering onsite help and a bridge to resources
- Staff coordinate services offered by human service professionals, medical providers, and other specialists from multiple partners
Habitat for Humanity Project Updates
Construction at Hannah Place in Cary has begun, and the Home Build is moving forward.
- Hannah Place includes 7 Habitat for Humanity Homes including the St. Michael Community Build.
- We’ve secured Site Acquisition Funding, including funds for Site Services.
- We’ve chosen a subcontractor for water, sewer, and road work, and the work has started.
- House construction is planned to start in Spring 2021 with target completion in late June.
- We are still in Phase 2 of Habitat’s Phased Re-Entry Plan for Volunteers.
- Habitat for Humanity’s Skilled Volunteers are safely working with construction staff and homeowners.
- Habitat for Humanity is still not deploying sponsor volunteers (us) at this point.
- Habitat for Humanity will keep us posted on the start of the St. Michael Community Build and the ability to deploy St. Michael and Mother Teresa Volunteers.
Look for the next update in January.
– Jim Duffy & Will McGowan
Habitat for Humanity Project Coordinators
Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
PROMOTE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and,
SERVE CATHOLICS IN THE UNITED STATES as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world.
As part of the universal mission of the Catholic Church, we work with local, national and international Catholic institutions and structures, as well as other organizations, to assist people on the basis of need, not creed, race or nationality.
Approved by the Catholic Relief Services Board of Directors on September 11, 2008.
We put our faith into action to help the world’s poorest create lasting change.Catholic Relief Services